You may have a lot of thoughts bounce around your head when you think about going to college or university as a non-traditional student. While you may feel like a fish out of water at first, there’s really no reason why you don’t belong on campus with other bright minds that are seeking knowledge. Here are the top 5 reasons why you should get your education now:
- Age is a Number – It doesn’t matter that you’re older than the other students on campus. This just means you have more life experience to add to conversations and classroom discussions. It’s never too late to get your education and to better yourself.
- Traditional is Overrated – You might think that you’re the odd one, going to school now with a bunch of 18 year old kids. But the chances are most of them don’t really know what they want to do with their lives and are only going to school because their parents made them or they are terrified at the thought of joining the working world and trying to find a job. You’ve got the leg up on them because you’re already battle tested in the real world and you’ve made it through to tell about it.
- You’re Wiser – You probably bring a lot more to the table than you give yourself credit for. You can offer sage advice to your fellow students and be looked at as a person that should be respected. Own your position in life and make it work as an asset and not a liability.
- It’s All in Your Head – If you feel uncomfortable at the thought of returning to school, and you think everyone will be whispering behind your back and making fun of you, it’s all a hang-up on your end. People are so wrapped up in their own existence that they likely don’t think about you as much as you think they do. And why let a few people’s hypothetical opinions of you deter you from doing what you want. It’s time to drop all of these issues and just get over it.
- It’s Your Story – You are creating your masterpiece that is your life and if you decide that going to college is the right thing for you at this time, then go for it. Don’t let anything or anyone stop you, including yourself. Yes, you’ll face unique challenges, but that’s all part of the learning process and you’ll come out of it a better person.
So there you have it, solid reasons to fill out that college application and give it a shot. You won’t know what it’s really like until you do it, so give it a try and measure the results.