Women Want To Feel Safe and Comfortable
How to Be Comfortable Around That Special Someone
It is natural to feel a little nervous when you are around the person you like. This usually stems from your feelings for that person and wanting him/her to reciprocate those feelings. By being yourself and relaxing a little, you can make your interactions with your special someone feel more natural.
Getting Over Your Nerves
Remind yourself that your special someone is probably nervous, too.Everyone feels nervous when they are around a crush, and that is okay! It is actually very common.
- Some people become skilled at acting confident, but inside, they are really nervous. Even if your crush is acting very cool and confident, he/she very well may be just as nervous about spending time with you as you are.
Consider that your crush finds your nervousness endearing.Every person is unique and is attracted to different things. While there are many people who are attracted to confident, outgoing individuals, there are also many people who find shy, nervous qualities attractive.
- Admitting that you feel nervous is perfectly fine, because it gives your special someone the opportunity to do the same. You might also want to include that you feel nervous for some positive reason, like that your crush looks very beautiful/handsome or that you like him/her. This reassures your crush that you are nervous for a good reason and not because you dislike him/her and do not know how to get out of the situation.
Make light of an awkward situation.In the event that something embarrassing or awkward happens, like stuttering over your words or spilling a drink, ease the tension by making light of it. Crack a joke or be willing to laugh at yourself.
- If it is your special someone who does or says something awkward, be sure not to laugh at him/her for it. Smile and say something reassuring, such as, “It happens to the best of us” or “I did the exact same thing the other day! It's okay.”
Treat your special someone like a normal person.It is tempting for a lot of people to treat their crushes like people of huge importance or to put them up on a pedestal. However, taking a step back from that and reminding yourself that your crush is just a normal person will help you to calm down a bit.
- Be kind, generous, and polite to your special someone, but there is no need to worship the ground on which he/she walks. Treating your crush like a higher being only puts unnecessary pressure on yourself to act in a certain way at all times.
Act natural around your crush.This might be easier said than done, but the more you try to force yourself to act a certain way, the more noticeable and fake it seems.Take a few deep breaths, and be yourself. Your special someone will interpret your behavior as candid and unique instead of fake and unnatural, and then he/she will be encouraged to do the same.
Being Yourself Around Your Special Someone
Display your real personality.One of the biggest misconceptions many people have is that they need to pretend to be someone they are not in order to get someone to like them. Be yourself around your crush, and he/she will appreciate you for who you are.
- Show your special someone your true personality by sharing your interests and hobbies, sharing jokes that you think are funny, sharing what type of music you like, and acting in a way that feels comfortable for you.
- Never apologize for who you are! If your crush does not understand or appreciate your personality, then you need to consider whether you should continue to romantically pursue this person.
Build a friendship with your special someone.A great way to start feeling more comfortable around your crush is be friends with him/her first. While you take time to get to know him/her better, focus on building up that friendship and trust between the two of you. Then, you will feel calmer and more comfortable around your crush.
- You could even try behaving around your special someone the way that you do around your friends. Treating him/her like a friend, and thinking of your crush as friend, might help you to feel more comfortable.
Have confidence in your appearance.Girls in particular struggle with this. There is often a feeling of always needing to look perfect when around your special someone. However, displaying confidence even when you do not look your best helps you to relax around him/her.
- Wear clothing that feels comfortable to you. You do not always have to dress to impress; wearing jeans and a t-shirt or even sweatpants, if you are hanging out at home, is perfectly acceptable. If you are going on a date with your special someone, know where you are going or at least get an idea of what appropriate attire is. Dressing appropriately but comfortably will boost your confidence.
- Having good hygiene habits also helps with comfort and confidence. Be sure to take care of your personal hygiene at all times.
Accept yourself for who you are.Many people cite that the most attractive quality of a person is the ability to be confident about who you are.Know your flaws but be accepting of them, because this will help you be more relaxed around everyone, especially your crush.
- Be kind and forgiving to yourself when you do or say something silly. Chances are that your crush will find it cute and endearing, and it will not be a big deal unless you make it one.
Getting to Know Your Special Someone
Spend more quality time with your special someone.One of the easiest ways to become more comfortable with someone is to simply make plans to spend more time with him/her. You can invite your special someone to hang out one-on-one, or you can plan a group activity where many people will be present, including your special someone.
Ask your special someone open-ended questions.Open-ended questions are ones in which the answer is detailed, more than a simple “yes” or “no.” Learning more about your crush will help you find things that you have in common and will help relax you.
- “What is your favorite thing to do when you have some free time?”
- “What is your favorite memory from your childhood?”
- “Where is the coolest place you've ever been?”
- “What is your favorite thing about your family?”
- “What is your favorite genre of music?”
- “Where is your favorite place to hang out?”
- “If money were no object, what would you do with your life? Why?”
- “If you could be an animal, which one would you be? Why?”
- “If you could go on a vacation to anywhere in the world, where would you go? Why?”
- “Have you traveled much? Where have you gone?”
- “What is your favorite hobby?”
- “What is the craziest thing you've ever eaten?”
Answer questions about yourself honestly.It is really important to be honest about yourself, because pretending to be someone you are not will eventually backfire. Your special someone will find out the truth at some point, and your chance at a relationship with him/her will likely disappear.
- Being honest builds trust between the two of you. Think about how you would feel if you discovered that your crush lied to you.
Suggest activities to do that you both enjoy.As you hang out or go on dates with your special someone, you should make a point of suggesting activities in which you both have an interest and will enjoy. If any awkward silences come up during the activity, you will have something enjoyable to break the ice.
- Hang out in a group with mutual friends.
- Go see a live band or to a concert.
- Play board or video games that you both know.
- Have a movie marathon with movies you both like.
QuestionHow can I make my crush comfortable around me?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThanks!
QuestionI am now dating the person I like, and we've only been able to text so far because I get full-blown panic attacks around him. He's understanding, but still... Any advice?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt is important to remember that he is a person with flaws, just like anyone else. You imagine him to be perfect but he is just another person--just like you.Thanks!
QuestionWhat is the best way to ask for his/her phone number?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerCasually mention it when you are about to say goodbye; for example, "By the way, can I get your number?" If the person says no, it's not the biggest shame in the world.Thanks!
QuestionI like them so much that I start to cry, and so I look really miserable and cannot smile. What do I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerCalm down. Ask a close friend to keep a lookout. When they are coming, act cool. Smile! Let your friend start the conversation and let him/her mention you. Then join in when you are ready.Thanks!
QuestionWhen the person that I like talks and flirts with me, I tend to ignore him and avoid eye contact. Why do I pretend that I don't like my crush?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt a defense mechanism of a sort. You want to seem cool in front of your crush, and some guys like the "chase," but if you show too little interest he may give up and move on. You could follow him on Instagram or friend him on Facebook, to show that you do think of him, and go from there. Another alternative is you can ask him out. It's 2019, girls can ask boys out.Thanks!
QuestionWhen I'm not around my crush I think about all the things I should say, and then when we hang out I say nothing. How do I stop over thinking the situation?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThat happens to most of us. We often idealize our crushes, thinking that they are perfect, and forgetting that they're just as insecure and flawed as we are. Keep that in mind, and talk yourself up in the mirror a little before you hang out.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I know If someone is jealous?Dr.McveyCommunity AnswerPay attention to see if that person gives you dirty looks or seems generally annoyed by your presence.Thanks!
QuestionWhat happens if I am younger and I can't date? I feel left out because all of my friends have boyfriends, and my crush likes me. What do I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou should tell him in person that you are sorry and you can't date, not because you don't like him, but because you are too young to date. Try to be calm about it and don't make too much fuss. If you are too scared to talk to him in person then you should try sending him a letter explaining the situation.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I be comfortable with an old friend (not a crush)?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMake old inside jokes you had together, that should help break the ice, then talk to the person about what you've both been up to.Thanks!
QuestionI'm dating my crush, but we seem to be unable to break the touch barrier because of fear. We're afraid that our friends will think we're weird. What do we do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerDon't be afraid to show how much you like each other! Your friends won't think you're weird. If they say anything, they're probably just jealous. Start out with something simple, like holding hands.Thanks!
- Always be nice to your special someone. It goes a long way in building trust and comfort, and it gives your relationship a positive foundation. Even in instances where your crush does or says something embarrassing, handle it in a friendly way without humiliating him/her. Showing that respect will reap its rewards!
- Don't take your crush too seriously, and tease her in a lighthearted manner by showing your excellent sense of humor.
- Do not pursue a relationship with someone who might try to pressure you into doing things that you do not want to do. Putting yourself in this situation could put you in an unsafe and scary position.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Español: , Русский: , Português: , Français: , Italiano: , Bahasa Indonesia:
Video: 3 Jokes That Make People Instantly Like You
Your future Netflix show obsession is almost here – and here’s the trailer
Ability to Hold Your Liquor May Raise Your Alcohol Abuse Risk
Science Says This Is the Actual Best Time of the Day to Have Sex
Selena Gomez Takes Carpool Karaoke off the Road and onto a RollerCoaster
How to Clean a Glass Pipe
How to Nail Metallic HomeDecor
How to Get Your Girlfriend to Kiss or Hug You More Often
10 Things Youre Not Cleaning (But Should Be)
How to Block Bad Thoughts
How to avoid a neck beard
50 Tricep Tattoos For Men – Masculine Design Ideas