5-Minute Thigh-Slimming Workout
How to Make Hips Smaller
As men and women gain weight, they may become “pear-shaped,” storing extra fat in their thighs and hips. This can be a tough area to reduce size and tone up. Since it's impossible to "spot treat," or lose weight from one specific area of your body, you will need to burn fat all over, in addition to strengthening your underlying muscles. To help support weight loss and reduce your hip size, you'll need to make changes to your diet and exercise program to help you make your hips smaller.
Incorporating Cardio Exercises to Help Make Hips Smaller
Include regular cardio exercises each week.Regardless of what area of your body you want to make smaller, cardio exercises of all types will help support weight loss.
- Most health professionals recommend including at least 150 minutes or about 2 1/2 hours of moderate-intensity cardio activities each week.
- In addition to supporting weight loss and toning different parts of your body, cardio has also been shown to help better manage diabetes or high blood pressure, improve your sleeping patterns and even improve your mood.
- Try any cardio activity like running, dancing, swimming, hiking or biking.
Go running.Running is a great cardiovascular exercise. It burns a significant amount of calories per hour and primarily uses your thigh muscles for power.
- Running can build not only cardiovascular endurance but also builds muscular strength and endurance.
- Professionals suggest running for at least 20 minutes per session to help tone and slim down your thighs.
Take the stairs.Stair climbing requires hard work from the hip flexors, quads and lower abs. In addition, this exercise burns a significant amount of calories per minute.
- Add a two to five minute stair run or five to ten minute stair walk three times per week. Or try using the stair master at your gym for at least 20 minutes.
- Doing stairs not only helps burn calories and fat, it's also a great exercise to tone your legs and buttocks.
Take a spin class.Many cyclists are known for their great legs. Cycling is a great exercise that torches calories and is great for sculpting your legs.
- Cycling works a large variety of your leg muscles including your hamstrings, quadriceps, calves, abductors and glutes.It's a very well rounded workout for your legs.
- In addition, cycling is great for those with knee injuries or knee pain as this is a higher intensity, but low-impact exercise.
Go to a kickboxing class.Kickboxing is an aerobic class that uses many moves from martial arts. It's great for toning both the upper and lower body.
- Kickboxing is also known for burning a large amount of calories per hour. It's a great class to incorporate to help burn calories and decrease your overall body fat.
- Kickboxing uses a variety of kicks that use almost every muscle in your legs. This is another workout that will help tone your thighs in addition to your lower legs.
Part 1 Quiz
What is a low impact way to work out and protect your joints?
Incorporating Strength Training to Help Make Hips Smaller
Incorporate regular strength training exercises.In addition to cardio, it's important to include regular strength and resistance training exercises. There are many exercises that can help you strengthen your thighs and buttocks. Remember that muscle takes up less space than fat, so strengthening leg muscles will only improve the appearance of your hips and thighs.
- Focus on performing a high number of repetitions, working through a comfortable range of motion.
- Consider doing fast exercises for your legs like jumping moves, leg lifts, high knee jogs and heel kick backs. Quick movements work different muscle fibers than slow movements.
- Slow power and strength moves — like weighted squats, deadlifts and lunges — will work the rest of the muscle fibers in the hips.
- Strength training exercises do not burn as many calories compared to cardio, but will help build and tone muscle mass.
- In addition, the more muscle mass you build over time, the more calories your body burns at rest.
- Incorporate about two to three days of strength training each week. If you're focusing specifically on your hips and thighs, make sure you have a rest day between days you target those muscles.
Do a hip bridge series.The bridge exercise pose is a common activity that helps tone your lower back, stomach, buttocks and most importantly, your hips.
- Lie on your back, bend your knees and keep your feet hip-width apart. Focus on keeping a neutral spine. Contract your stomach muscles.
- Lift your hips slowly until you form a plank from your shoulders to your knees. Hold the position for three seconds and slowly lower down to the floor. Repeat 10 to 20 times.
- To increase the intensity of this exercise, hold the elevated position and lower your hips down one inch (2.5 cm) and then move your hips back up. Do this for one minute. Then, lower your hips down.
Do squats.This exercise helps tone your lower body but especially targets your hips and thighs.
- Stand with your legs hip-width apart. Contract your ab muscles and place your weight in your heels.
- Sit back as if you are sitting into a low chair. Keep your knees behind your toes. Do the posture sideways next to a mirror to check your form.
- Pause for three seconds at the lowest point you can squat. Push through your heels and rise to a standing position. Repeat 10 to 20 times.
Do curtsy lunges.The curtsy lunge is a modified one-legged squat. It requires extra work from your hips to perform making this a great exercise to tone your hips and thighs.
- Stand with feet hip width apart. Reach your right foot back behind your left foot as though you are going to curtsy in front of royalty.
- Bend both of your knees and squat. Try to bring your right leg as low to the ground as you can.
- Contract your muscles throughout and keep your back straight. You should not pitch forward. Repeat 10 to 20 curtsies on each side.
Do sidestepping.This exercise helps target the outside of your hips specifically. It's great for toning and strengthening the outside of your thighs.
- Find a resistance band that is a small circle. Step into it and pull it up above your knees. It should have some resistance when you step to the side.
- Sidestep as far out to the right as you can. Bring your left leg to meet your right very slowly. Sidestep back the other direction, allowing your left leg to lead.
- Repeat between 10-20 exercises in each direction.
Part 2 Quiz
True or False: Strength training can burn as many calories as cardio if you do it often enough.
Changing Your Diet to Support Smaller Hips
Cut calories.In order to make your hips and thighs smaller, you'll need to reduce your overall body fat. You cannot spot treat this area, so following a calorie restricted meal plan will help reduce the fat in your hips, thighs and overall body.
- You typically want to aim for slower, more safe weight loss. This generally equates to about 1-2 pounds weekly.
- Cut out about 500-750 calories from your current eating plan.This will generally result in safe, gradual weight loss.
- Use a food journal or online app to get an idea of how many calories you currently eat each day. This will help you determine a calorie limit that will result in weight loss.
Make most of your meals protein and produce.There are a variety of dieting styles on the market. Studies, however, show that lower carb diets result in the quickest amount of weight loss and fat reduction.
- If you're following a lower carb diet, most of your meals should be protein, vegetables, and some fruit. This combination of foods will also provide you with enough nutrients to maintain a nutritious diet.
- Include a source of lean protein at each meal. Aim for a 3-4 oz serving at most meals and snacks (about the size of a deck of cards).This will help you reach your daily recommended amount.
- Also include about one to two servings of fruit daily (1/2 cup chopped or one small piece)and four to five servings of vegetables each day (1 cup chopped or 2 cups loose leafy greens).
- Examples of lower carb meals featuring mostly protein and produce include 1 cup cottage cheese and sliced fruit, 1/4 cup of hummus with sliced raw veggies, or a grilled chicken salad.
Limit higher carb foods.If you're following a lower carb diet to help reduce body fat and trim down your hips and thighs you'll want to monitor the total amount of carbohydrates you consume each day.
- Carbs are found in a wide variety foods including fruits, dairy products, starchy vegetables, legumes, and grains as well as in sugar and sweetened drinks like soda or energy drinks.
- Foods like dairy products or fruit offer a lot of other beneficial nutrients outside of carbohydrates (like fiber and protein). Include minimal servings of these. It's not recommended to completely avoid these foods.
- Limit the grain food group the most. Many of the nutrients found in this group can be consumed from other foods. Limit items like bread, rice, pasta, bagels, and crackers.
Drink adequate fluids.Maintaining adequate hydration is essential for any balanced diet, but especially so if you're working out more often.
- Most health professionals recommend consuming at least eight to thirteen glasses of fluids each day.
- You may need more fluids depending on how active you are. It's also recommend to drink enough fluids to replace what you've lost in sweat during your exercise.
- Choose caffeine and sugar free fluids like water, flavored water, decaf coffee, and decaf tea.
Part 3 Quiz
How should you change your diet in order to remain healthy while also losing weight?
QuestionWhat are the best exercises to lose inches on my hips?
Personal TrainerPersonal TrainerExpert AnswerExercises are great for building muscle and changing the shape of your hips. To reduce the size of your hips and lose fat, a reduced calorie diet is the only solution. You must be able to achieve a calorie deficit to lose fat.Thanks!
QuestionI want to make my hips smaller and get abs in 4 months if I exercise daily is that going to be possible?
Personal TrainerPersonal TrainerExpert AnswerAchieving these results is possible if you also adjust your diet and reduce your daily calorie consumption. Losing fat from your waistline will be the only way to see abdominal muscles. Remember that it is important to only make diet and lifestyle changes that you can maintain for life. Yo-yo weight loss and gain can be a serious health problem.Thanks!
QuestionI do exercise almost every day but I don't lose weight. Why?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou have to give the workout some time. Try pushing yourself a little bit harder little by little. You should see results if you diet as well.Thanks!
QuestionHow long do I have to do this in order to get small hips?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt depends on how much weight you want to lose, how much your work out, and what you eat. It also depends on how fast your metabolism is. You should see some changes in 2 to 3 weeks, however.Thanks!
QuestionI want my tummy to look flatter and hips to look smaller. What should I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerFor a both, drink lots of water, in fact make it the only drink you drink. Carbonation can cause air to be swallowed which causes bloating. Also try cutting gum out if you are a gum chewer the same thing happens. When craving sweets, eat dark chocolate only! Don't eat anything greasy. Cut out dairy also and go for walks, runs, bike rides, swimming, or hiking. Do cardio workouts and have a regular workout plan. Look them up online and do what is in your comfort zone. But professionals recommend running for at least 20 minutes daily and at least 2 1/2 hours of vigorous exercise a week.Thanks!
QuestionI'm already skinny, but my hips are wide. Why?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt could either be genetics, or that you need to exercise that area to tone it. Squats, lunges, bicycling, and running really target the hips.Thanks!
QuestionCan skipping rope help in making my thighs smaller?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes! Skipping rope can help burn calories without building up very much muscle.Thanks!
QuestionWhat happens if you don't have enough time to do all these exercises?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerFind a high intensity exercise/workout program that takes up less time but requires the same amount of exertion.Thanks!
QuestionI don't have a wide space to do exercises. What can I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou don't really need any space to do lunges, but you can always go outside or to a park, gym or your garden.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I increase hip size?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThanks!
Can skipping rope make my hips smaller?
How can I reduced my hip size?
Is it possible to drop 5 centimeters in 3 weeks?
How do I get hips as a teenager?
- Always talk to your doctor prior to making any changes to your diet or exercise routine. They will be able to tell you if its safe or appropriate for you.
- Remember, it's impossible to "spot treat" any part of your body. A healthy diet combined with strength and cardio is the best way to reduce any part of your body.
Things You'll Need
Sources and Citations
- Videos provided by
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
In other languages:
Italiano: , Русский: , Español: , Português: , Deutsch: , Français: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Nederlands: , العربية: , Tiếng Việt:
Video: Lose Thigh Fat in 2 weeks - Easy thigh exercise & workout to get slim legs
Make a Change: Try a Standing Desk
9Round Fitness Review: The Ultimate Boxing Workout
Little Boy SOBS on First Day of School Because of His Dads Embarrassing Outfit
You Will Soon Be Able To Buy Tom Ford Straight Off The Runway
Miu Miu FallWinter 2015-2019 Collection – Paris Fashion Week
Try Re-Styling the Clothes You Already Own This Weekend
How to Resign from the Bahai Faith
How to Be a Night Princess
How to Deal with Friends Who Invite Themselves over Without Asking
21 Fall Men Outfits With Wide Brim Hats
Scientists Found That Couples Who Really Love Each Other Tend toGain Weight
Is This The Real Reason You Always Gain Weight In The Winter