How to teach any dog to stop pulling and walk nicely on a loose leash
How to Make Walking the Dog Enjoyable
Do you dread that time of day where your dog is hyper, whining and begging you to take it out for a walk? If you find dog walks boring, lonely, or a big hassle, it's time to turn your dog walking experience into something enjoyable, rather than a daily chore. After all, Fido doesn't want a bored owner!
Being kitted out properly
Be prepared.Wear suitable clothing for the weather. If it's raining, wear a rain jacket and boots; if it's blowing a gale, wear a windproof jacket. By keeping comfortable, you'll enjoy the experience a whole lot more.
Bring dog treats with you.If something happens and you need to either get your dog to come to you quickly, or you would like to reinforce good behavior, treats can make a difficult situation much less stressful. For example, if your dog hates walking near major roads, a treat can be used to reward the good behavior and the effort that the dog makes.
Bring along the doggy do bag.This can be a part of walking that seems most unpleasant but it's essential for ensuring a comfortable and enjoyable urban environment and for ensuring that nobody, including you, treads in stinky do-do. Clean it up and avoid the glares, and the pleasant reactions from other people will bring more joy to your walk.
Enjoying the walk
Show gratitude and appreciation for the opportunity to walk your dog.This is a special time to bond with your dog and it's also a chance for you to keep healthy through the exercise. Appreciate watching your dog and seeing its happiness as it runs around having fun.
- View walking the dog as free time and me-time. If you lead a busy life, it can be hard to get away from everything and everyone, and a dog offers a ready-made excuse to escape it all and still be doing something beneficial.
Make friends.Dog walks provide the perfect way to make new friends. The next time your dog is running around with another dog, try approaching the owner and start chatting. You already have a topic in common––dogs. Just take it from there.
- Dog walks are also perfect times to catch up with existing friends, so consider inviting them along and catching up on all the latest gossip.
- If you have been meaning to call a family member or a friend, but your busy life keeps getting in the way, ring them while your walking; it's a great way to fill time and if the conversation gets tiring or awkward, use needing to cross the road or catch the dog as an excuse to end the call quickly.
Find easy ways to expend Fido's energy without exhausting yourself.If the dog's got too much energy for you, find a bench, sit on it, and through a load of balls. Doing this uses up a lot much of your dog's energy, without depleting yours, so it's easily sorted!
Take new roads, streets and pathways each time.Change the walks so that you get to know the wider neighborhood, rather than trudging down the same old path each day or night. This is a great way to keep fit, explore new places and walk the dog all at the same time.
- Bring your smartphone with its map app, in case you get lost.
Find a favorite cafe that lets you tie the dog up as you sit at an outdoor table.Have a coffee and read the newspaper for a short break. Be sure to give Fido a bowl of water too.
QuestionCan a 10 year old walk a small dog with an adult?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerOf course they can. As long as they have an adult around to monitor their activity, walking a dog can be good for a 10 year old. They are getting outside and away from the TV, as well as building a relationship with their dog.Thanks!
- Bring a snack with you for those times when you feel peckish. If Fido gets treats, so should you. A small energy bar, a few pieces of chocolate, or some nuts, are a great choice. Don't feed these to Fido though, as they're human safe only.
- Do workout course together to improve your fitness. If you're into running, and doing steps, bar work and other fitness path exercises in parks set up for this, it can be a good way for you to keep fit and help a very energetic dog release a lot of energy running to keep up with you.
Video: Leash Training a Dog - Why You Should Stay on One Side
9Round Fitness Review: The Ultimate Boxing Workout
Stretch Away Back Pain
Rule-Breaking Nurses Helped This Dying Man Get His Final Wish
4 Ways to Make a Cone
Please Enjoy This Exhaustive List Of Men Who Look Like Snacks
Beyoncé Joins Jay-Z On Stage For Budweiser Music Festival
A Very British Cheesecake Recipe
15 Curly Hairstyles for 2019: Flattering New Styles for Everyone
The Mercedes Yacht Is 1.7 Million Of Seagoing Extravagance
7 Outfit Ideas to Try From Instagram This Week