People Revisit Foods That Gave Them Food Poisoning



Women lost hair after getting food poisoning from pumpkin and squash

bald spot hair lossTwo women (not pictured here) experienced hair loss after eating pumpkin and squash.

  • A report published in JAMA Dermatology describes two women who suffered loss, severe nausea and diarrhea after eating bitter squash and pumpkin.
  • These types of plants are part of a family called cucurbits, and they may sometimes contain a bitter tasting toxin called cucurbitacin.
  • In an interview with AFP, the report's lead author said that "bitterness in a squash should serve as a warning."

If your pumpkin tastes more bitter than usual, you should probably stop eating it. Abandon soup, put down your pie, refuse that risotto: or you may pay a dear price.

Two women have suffered hair loss after eating (usually-trustworthy) meals containing pumpkin and squash. Described in , the two women first experienced severe nausea and diarrhea, before losing their hair a few weeks later.

The first woman experienced food poisoning hours after eating a bitter-tasting soup. This lasted about a day.

Just over a week later, her hair started falling out in clumps, affecting a large area of her scalp and her pubic area. She also suffered from trichorrhexis nodosa, where the hair becomes brittle and breaks easily.

Her family, who had also eaten the soup, experienced food poisoning too. However, they experienced no hair loss as they had eaten less of it.

In the second case, a woman became ill and suffered hair loss after eating a meal at a dinner party containing an oddly bitter squash. Possibly the politest of the guests, she ate the whole of her meal including the squash, whereas the other guests avoided the squash entirely. Shortly afterward, vomiting and diarrhea began with gusto, and three weeks later she lost hair on her head, pubic region, and armpits, according to Medical Xpress.

"Bitterness in a squash should serve as a warning," Dr. Philippe Assouly, author of the study, told AFP. "One should not force a child to finish it."

Effects of eating bitter cucurbits (a family of plants that includes pumpkins, squashes, zucchini, and watermelons) can be deadly. Three years ago, a child died of poisoning after eating a suspect zucchini stew.

Cucurbits sometimes contain cucurbitacin, a toxic substance that gives off a bitter taste. It's bred out of commercial crops, but can occasionally make its way back into a crop through cross-pollination with a wild plant, Newsweek reports.

In both cases, the lost hair eventually regrew. However, if you'd like to avoid short-term alopecia and horrendous diarrhea, we'd recommend you stop eating squashes and pumpkins that taste bitter, no matter how polite you are trying to be at a dinner party.






Video: Why Do I Keep on Getting Food Poisoning? | This Morning

Women lost hair after getting food poisoning from pumpkin and squash
Women lost hair after getting food poisoning from pumpkin and squash images

2019 year
2019 year - Women lost hair after getting food poisoning from pumpkin and squash pictures

Women lost hair after getting food poisoning from pumpkin and squash advise
Women lost hair after getting food poisoning from pumpkin and squash forecast photo

Women lost hair after getting food poisoning from pumpkin and squash picture
Women lost hair after getting food poisoning from pumpkin and squash foto

Women lost hair after getting food poisoning from pumpkin and squash Women lost hair after getting food poisoning from pumpkin and squash new images
Women lost hair after getting food poisoning from pumpkin and squash new photo

images Women lost hair after getting food poisoning from pumpkin and squash
picture Women lost hair after getting food poisoning from pumpkin and squash

Watch Women lost hair after getting food poisoning from pumpkin and squash video
Watch Women lost hair after getting food poisoning from pumpkin and squash video

Forum on this topic: Women lost hair after getting food poisoning , women-lost-hair-after-getting-food-poisoning/
Forum on this topic: Women lost hair after getting food poisoning , women-lost-hair-after-getting-food-poisoning/ , women-lost-hair-after-getting-food-poisoning/

Related News


Eat Like This, Never Diet Again
Best Mehndi Design Videos – Our Top 15 Picks For 2019
How to React when You Witness a Crash
7 Things I Learned in 35 Minutes With François Nars
10 Best Sanskar Bharti Rangoli Designs To Try In 2019
How To Wear The Festive Season’s Biggest Trend – Velvet
Bed And Beyond: The Fabulous Hotel Products You Can Bring Home
How to Ask Your Family for Money
8 Showy Snow Sculptures
Know the Facts and the Signs of Teething



Date: 10.12.2018, 17:53 / Views: 93432